Friday, September 19, 2008

Finally - A nice RPG Editor

For those that are not programmers, you can skip this blog :)

Today I happened upon a program called RPGAlive. Basically it's a PC program that runs in the background, and "watches" your terminal emulation program. It can sense when SEU is running and then it reads the code and makes it "pretty" and a bit more understandable. One thing I have always disliked about IBM's SEU or FSEDIT is they are very crude and not real intuitive. Since I have now moved from the S36 environment to the AS400, meaning I moved from FSEDIT (back) to SEU, I have not been very comfortable when I am coding, like I used to be with FSEDIT. Maybe this will change things.



(click on the image to see the full size and animation that shows what it does)

That is a screen shot that I "borrowed" from RPGAlive's website to demostrate what it does. It is really helpful/useful when coding, especially if you are doing alot of loops or similar. I also like that feature that "underlines" fields for each type of oper command, so you know where the fields are without having to go to single line mode. Only problem with RGVAlive is it's $800 price tag.




The above is another program I use from time to time called CodeStudio (and it's FREE!), it's a PC program that FTPs the source code from the 400, lets you modify it, then FTPs it back to the 400. Only problem is it has a few quirks that I don't like, but I am starting to get used to it.

If I could get RPGAlive, I would probably switch back to SEU for all my coding. I have 30 days to try it out. After that I might end up switching back to CodeStudio.

No comments: